Monday, December 13, 2010

Action, Action, We want Action, A-C-T-I-O-N. . .

I currently feel like I am in a sort of limbo as far as my ideas are concerned. I have finished a novella, of which I am basically tired of. In fact, I stopped liking the story I was telling about 3/4 of the way through and now that it has been completed for about two weeks, I have no desire to ever see it again. With that being said, I do intend to edit it, rewrite and then attempt to market it.

More exciting, I have begun a new novel, which I keep much closer to my heart than my previous work. I am eighteen pages in, and although I haven't written for the novel in about a week, I already know where I am going and how I am going to get there. I very much so think this will be my best piece of writing yet, and all I need to do is work at the novel every day.



Since all I have been doing lately is churning out pieces of writing that are (apparently) unworthy of being published or larger works which take more time and effort to be perfected, I need to get myself a day job. Or decide if I want to go back to school. My next course of action as far as this area of my life is concerned is to weigh my options and make a decision.

A large part of me would like to go back to school for any number of things- a Masters in Creative Writing or in Women's and Gender Studies, or Comparative Literature. . . I could apply at The New School or UPenn or the University of Miami. . .The possibilities are endless! Just thinking about being back in a classroom has me excited- perhaps that makes me a bit masochistic, but truly, I love learning and so a natural next step for me would be to continue with my education.


The more practical side of me knows it would be best to get a steady job, so I have more security. I could attempt to get a job as a journalist, or as a paid online blogger, both as attempts to stay in the field I was educated for. I could always take a job at a coffee shop or as a store clerk, so I would always have time for my writing. The possibility has also crossed my mind that I could very easily train to be a personal trainer. Waking up early and getting all my training done would be ideal for me to continue to write, and as an added bonus, I will be outdoors, working with people toward a goal we share: health and well-being.

I need to get my priorities in order, make some decisions, and stick with them and take some action in order to turn some of my internal thoughts, hopes, and dreams into reality.


For those of you just tuning in to Lost Discoverer, during the month of December I have been participating in #Reverb10; an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. Today's prompt came from author Scott Belsky: Action. When it comes to aspirations, its not about ideas. It's about making ideas happen. What's your next step?

No comments:

Post a Comment