Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I want to Bring some Color into My Life



Those who know me know my outfits are very rarely colorful. For some reason, I stray from anything which is not an earth-tone, black, or white. This also tends to be my style when it comes to decorating a room as well- mossy greens, deep reds, browns and blues are the only colors present in the home the Boy and I now share.

HOWEVER- something this summer has sent me over the edge- color, I mean, really, in-your face color. Lime Green. Electric Yellow. Turquoise. Slowly but surely, my closet is beginning to look more like a brilliant rainbow than a depressing landscape. (Although I did buy another black dress last night- but one can never have too many little black dresses- right?)



So, in honor of my new obsession, here are some items which will allow Color into all our lives:


"Instead of trying to reproduce exactly what I see before me, I make more arbitary use of colour to express myself more forcefully ... To express the love of two lovers by the marriage of two complementary colours ... To express the thought of a brow by the radiance of a light tone against a dark background. To express hope by some star. Someone's passion by the radiance of the setting sun."
Vincent van Gogh, 1888.




"Colour helps to express light, not the physical phenomenon, but the only light that really exists, that in the artist's brain."
Henri Matisse, 1945




"The craving for colour is a natural necessity just as for water and fire. Colour is a raw material indispensable to life. At every era of his existence and his history, the human being has associated colour with his joys, his actions and his pleasures."
-- Frenand Leger, "On Monumentality and Color", 1943.


((in order of appearance: Penguin Cloth-bound books, Sebastiaan Bemer acrylics on print, pillows from seesaw, Brandi Strickland mixed media, and vintage cushions from Seesaw Vintage, modern chartreuse clock from Uncommon ))

No comments:

Post a Comment